Jamie H. Sklar is a corporate attorney with an MBA who specializes in M&A, fund formation and corporate and commercial transactions. Jamie brings to his legal practice a solid understanding of valuation, financial statement analysis, corporate strategy, marketing and tax.
Before becoming a Partner at Bailey Duquette, Jamie served as a senior in-house lawyer at a multi-billion dollar registered investment manager of a global distressed/restructuring hedge fund and five global distressed/restructuring private equity funds. In this role, Jamie was primarily responsible for legal matters for the firm’s private equity platform (transactions, fund formation, finance and compliance) as well as employment matters and carried interest sharing plans on a global basis.
Previously, Jamie practiced in the M&A group of White & Case LLP in New York where he handled a large number of international finance and M&A transactions primarily for private equity funds. Prior to that he was in the M&A and securities group of Sidley Austin LLP where he worked on a broad range of M&A, fund formation, securities, finance and other corporate and commercial matters. Jamie serves both as transaction counsel and outsourced “in-house” counsel for private equity and hedge funds, as well as for portfolio companies and start-ups.
Jamie has held active business roles on several start-up ventures and is Chairman of the Board of Directors of F-dot Inc., a nonprofit company focused on economically favorable engagement of the New York business community with the consumer and talent markets of people with disabilities.
McGill University (LL.B./JD with Great Distinction)
McGill University (BCL (Civil Law) with Great Distinction)
McGill University (MBA)
University of Western Ontario (Bachelor of Commerce/ Finance and Economics)
- Private Equity, M&A & Joint Ventures
- Sale of Liberty Electric Generation Holdings, LLC, owner of a 575 megawatt natural gas-fired, combined-cycle power generation facility located in Pennsylvania
- Acquisition of the business of Maher Terminals, Inc., one of the largest independent multi-user container terminal operations in the world and the largest container operation at Port Elizabeth, New Jersey, located within the Port of New York and New Jersey.
- Acquisition of Aquilex Corp. and its subsidiary Welding Services, Inc., the leading global provider of outsourced specialty welding solutions, providing critical field and shop services to the nuclear, fossil power, refinery/petrochemical, and other process industries.
- Sale of 50% of a private equity fund’s equity interest in Permolex International, L.P., an emerging global leader in the production of ethanol and other bio-fuel products from multiple feedstocks
- Acquisition of Cross Holdings, provider of offshore oilfield services.
- Sale of Pacific Crossing Limited, which connects the United States and Japan with a 21,000 KM trans-pacific undersea fiber cable
- Sale of Birch Telecom Inc., an owner and operator of an integrated voice and data telecommunications network
- Leveraged buyout of the automotive products division of UK-based Avon Rubber plc for approximately $120 million.
- Minority acquisition of a portfolio company of The Carlyle Group in the aerospace industry
- Sale of a portfolio company in the nutraceuticals industry.
- Sale, out of bankruptcy, of substantially all of the assets of Pegasus Satellite Communications to DirecTV for $938 million
- Acquisition by Avaya Inc. of all or substantially all of the Assets of an internet consumer relationship management company pursuant to Section 363 of the Bankruptcy Code.
- Acquisition by Lucent Technologies of Agere, Inc. for stock valued at approximately $415 million.
- Stock and asset acquisitions and sales of several retail banks
- Acquisition of assets for a life settlements finance company
- Sale of a powdered metal and injection-molded plastics manufacturing business.
- Acquisition of WG Global, Inc., parent company to Wheelabrator Group, Inc for an equity value of approximately $70 million.
- Proposed cross border sale of a public consumer electronics retail chain operating in Canada
- Acquisition of Lumenos, Inc by WellPoint, Inc. for $185 million.
- Joint venture between A/S Dampskibsselskabet TORM, a company based in Denmark and listed on NASDAQ, and Teekay Shipping Corporation, to acquire OMI Corporation by tender offer and merger for $2.2 billion.
- Strategic Value Partners LLC in connection with formation of private equity fund, compliance, investor relations, credit facility, secondary transfers.
- MatlinPatterson Asset Management LLC on formation and management of a special purpose fund formed to take a significant position in debt securities of WorldCom, Inc. and its affiliates.
- Private equity fund in the structuring, drafting and advising with respect to a master joint venture with a real estate finance firm to co-invest in real estate loans.
- Hedge funds in marketing materials review and compliance matters.
- Multiple private equity funds and operating companies in connection with equity and debt investments.
- Halcyon Structured Opportunities Fund and its affiliates in their mezzanine financing and various rounds of equity investments in a European biofuels company.
- Private equity fund in negotiation and administration of subscription credit facilities.
- Harvest Partners and New Flyer, Inc. in connection with the restructuring of New Flyer and offering of Income Deposit Securities valued at $200 million on the Toronto Stock Exchange.
- Decoma International Inc. in connection with a Rule 144A/Reg S equity offering as part of a public offering in Canada. Aggregate amount: $151,900,000.
Employment and Executive Compensation
- Global fund manager in advising, drafting and negotiating employment and separation agreements on a global basis.
- Global fund manager in the structuring and drafting of its carry and incentive compensation plans.
- Multiple individuals in negotiation of their employment and severance agreements with hedge fund and private equity fund managers and other companies.
- Multiple technology companies in the structuring, drafting and advising with respect to a stock option plans and phantom equity plans for contractors and employees.
- A private equity portfolio company in the structuring of management incentive bonuses in contemplation of a sale.
- Distressed-focused private equity fund providing general advice on securities laws, overseeing all Section 13 beneficial ownership reports and section 16 filings, structuring transactions and drafting of contracts.
- Fifth Quadrant Analytics, Integrated Process Solutions, Donovan Group and Wingsail Capital Management as outside general counsel handling all corporate and commercial matters
- Various Start-ups in drafting organizational documents, shareholders voting agreements, subscription agreements, employment agreements and resolutions, advising on corporate structure, securities law compliance, corporate governance, seed financing, venture capital financing and other rounds of financing.